2.11.2013

My Cream Shadow/Base Collection!

Hi there!

To go along with my blush collection post, I felt like swatching all of my cream bases for reference and comparison.

As you can tell, the main brands I prefer for eyeshadows/bases in this form are from MAC and Maybelline.

When compared to each other, at least to me, these are pretty much the same. The only difference I personally notice is that the Maybelline Color Tattoos have a slicker and thinner consistency compared to the thicker MAC Paint Pots. As far as longevity, both brands perform perfectly! Rarely will I have to retouch these after they have set, and creasing is usually to a minimum.

I have also tried the similar Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadows in the past, and in my opinion, the Maybelline Color Tattoos are a close dupe, even down to the packaging. They still wore as well, and if you'd like to check them out, I'd recommend them, but do your research! Many of the shades have close dupes in the Color Tattoos. I no longer own any Benefit CCS due to my tendency to reach for Color Tattoos and Paint Pots more often. The Benefit CCS were still a product that I enjoyed and were great in performance, I just don't feel the need to repurchase them.

Now onto the swatches! I have quite a collection of neutrals and brights, and while some shades are similar in color, they are definately all different due to their finishes and opacity levels.


Left to Right: MAC Morning Frost, Maybelline Barely Beige, MAC Nubile, Maybelline Bad to the Bronze, Maybelline Tough as Taupe

As you can see, Morning Frost, Bad to the Bronze and Barely Beige have more of a frosty appearance compared to Nubile and Tough as Taupe, which have a satin and matte appearance, respectively. In the packaging, Barely Beige and Nubile look quite similar, but when swatched, Barely Beige is a cooler toned champagne with silvery shimmer, and Nubile appears more peachy and pink toned.


Left to Right: Maybelline Rich Mahogany, Maybelline Gold Shimmer, Maybelline Mossy Green, Maybelline Inked in Pink, MAC Idyllic

All of these shades have a frosty and almost metallic finish to them, and are so multi-dimensional! These colors, while they are still quite neutral, are perfect for fall colors, or adding a little color to a more monochromatic look.


Left to Right: Maybelline Edgy Emerald, Maybelline Test my Teal, MAC Half Wild, Maybelline Fuschia Fever, Maybelline Blue on By, MAC Imaginary

Holy Colors! Here is where the differences in opacity/quality lie with these bases. It is quite noticeable here that the MAC Paint Pots are more opaque when swatched, compared to the lighter shades of Color Tattoos. I feel like, if the Color Tattoos were closer to the formula of the Paint Pots, the colors may show up better. These still perform as they usually do, they just require a couple of thin layers to get true to pot color.

MAC Paint Pots generally retail from $18-20 depending on packaging, and Maybelline Color Tattoos retail from $6-8 depending on retailer and promotions.

Which shades do you enjoy using? Do you usually apply bases under your eyeshadows?

No comments:

Post a Comment